Pages

Tuesday 1 June 2021

Kauri Dieback with Whaea Stella


Today we had a really interesting visitor - Stella from Northland Regional Council who came to speak to Room 3. 4 & 5 about Kauri Dieback.  She spoke to us about some really interesting topics.  

Did you know... 

Endemic means  - Only can be found in this country e.g kiwi, kukupa, moa

Native - Made it's way here on it's own 

Introduced - brought to NZ & had help from humans

Fan worms are eating our native and endemic creature's food

Pollution (poo) is infecting our Moana and awa  e.g ecoli in the water

Kairaru - Largest Kauri on record was found in Okaihau.  It's trunk was 10 metres wide and it's height from base to top was 65 metres in length.

There are only 7% Kauri trees left

Uses of Kauri - houses, furniture, floorboards, gum ,varnish, tattoos with fish oil, toothpaste 

Kauri are 250 million years 

Humans have inhabited the earth for 150 000 years 

The main message Whaea Stella promoted was - How important we all are.  Why? Because we can be the ones to protect our Kauri from Dieback.

Who can be Kaitiaki?  We all can be protectors of our Kauri trees and nature in general.

 Stages of Kauri

Sapling, Ricker, Mature

Kauri dieback is a... 

- phytophthora: plant destroyer

Agathidiciada - Kauri killer

There are Feeder roots, osspores, zoosspores. 

Zoospore can smell the nitrogen and stops the nutrients 

Key messages:

To help keep Kauri Dieback away from our Kauri you need to...

Scrub, check, spray trigene

Protect our taonga, be a kaitiaki, do what you love, keep Kauri standing - clean your boots



15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Mote, from Glenbrae school. I really liked how Room 3,4, and 5 learnt different things about trees. I really hope you guys learn more about this and keep the work up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learnt something NEW!!!!!!!!
    Ki a ora. I'm Paisha from glenbrae school. This was so intresting. And my house color is Kauri! And I never knew this. That must have ttaken a lot of time to research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Mele,k, from Glenbrae school. Well done on the Kauri Dieback Whaea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia Ora Room 3, my name is Jaelyn - Marie and I am a year 6 student from Paihia School. I really like your blog post because you have added some words that you learnt and added the meaning. From your blog post I learnt that there are only 7% of Kauri left and Kauri are 250 million years old. In term one my class and I learnt about mutualism and the mutualistic relationship between birds and trees, we also learnt about ecosystems.
    What was your classrooms favourite part of learning about Kauri dieback?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ahipara School my name is Ebony and I am a year seven student from Paihia School. I loved reading your blog post about Kauri Dieback and some very cool and interesting facts. I loved reading your facts because You have stated in your blog post that endemic means it is only in your country. Have you ever seen a kauri tree before?

    ReplyDelete

  8. Kia ora Ruma 5, my name is Angela and I am a year 8 student at Paihia School. I like your blog post because you added some interesting facts about Kauri and added some photos to show more about your learning. From your blog post I learnt that Kauri are 250 million years old and there are only 7% of Kauri left. Did you learn about any other endemic trees/plants?
    Ka Kite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kia Ora Ahipara, my name is Savitri and I am a year six student from Paihia School. I really liked reading your post about “ Kauri Dieback”. In this post the two numbers that amazed me that these trees existed way back 250 million years ago, almost near to jurassic period and we are left with only 7% of trees which is really depressing. On other hand this research also motivates us to protect these trees and plant more and more trees.

    Have you ever seen a Kauri???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kia ora Ahipara School my name is Amber I am from Paihia School. I really like your blog post about how you learnt about kauri. I never knew that kauri has been alive for 250 million years that is so cool. I also never knew that the largest kauri tree was in Okaihau. It is very sad that kauri is dying fast. I have learnt something new about kauri trees.
    Have you guys ever seen a kauri tree?
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOw done amazing work guys I like how you did a doc about kauri trees it was amazing exploring what you have wrote down.Keep up the good work
    from jamal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ahipara School my name is Hudson and I go to Paihia School. I really like your blog-post because I’ve learnt a lot of things about the kauri trees like that there is only 7% of Kauri trees left in New Zealand and that they have been around for 250 million years. Last term my school also had Whaea Stella in and we also learnt about Kauri trees.
    Did you know any of this before Whaea Stella taught you?

    ReplyDelete